Five Necessary Steps Prior to Filing for an Arizona Divorce
Divorce is a major decision and a difficult process. It involves many significant changes and requires couples to face tough questions about finances, living situations, and more. Before you file for divorce in Arizona, consider taking these five steps:
- Talk to a counselor. Whether you go alone or as a couple, having someone to talk to can make divorce easier for you.
- Talk to an attorney. Whether or not you decide to file for divorce or to hire a lawyer, speaking to an attorney will help you understand your rights and options. An attorney can also help you protect yourself and avoid costly mistakes.
- Think twice about moving out. Moving out of the marital home may feel like it will give you much needed space and provide relief, but it may not be the best move to take before you file for divorce. You should consult an attorney over this matter.
- Know what you have. Review your assets, both personal and marital, so you know where the money, investments, and valuables are and in whose name they are kept.
- Protect your assets. The specific steps you will need to take will depend on what assets you have, your particular situation, and your needs. Taking possession of certain assets and separating bank accounts may be two necessary steps. Your attorney or financial advisor can provide you with more guidance.
If you are considering divorce, contact the experienced Arizona divorce attorneys at Mushkatel, Robbins & Becker, PLLC, for a free and confidential case evaluation.