How Long Do You Have to File a Personal Injury Claim in Arizona?
In general, personal injury claims are governed by a two-year statute of limitations in Arizona. This means, for the vast majority of injuries, you’ll have just two years from the date of your injury to bring a lawsuit in an attempt to hold the responsible party accountable. If you miss the deadline, your case will be forever barred and you will lose any right to compensation. It’s a strict rule, but one you can’t afford to ignore.
There are times when this can be much shorter, such as when a government agency or local municipality is to blame. For instance, if a city worker causes your injury, you must give “notice of the claim” within just six months or your rights are extinguished. Sometimes, it can be tough to know exactly what limitations apply, so it’s extremely important to work with an experienced personal injury lawyer in Surprise, Arizona, right away.
Steps to Take if You’ve Been Hurt in an Accident in Surprise, AZ
If you’ve been injured in an accident or due to some other type of negligence, there are several key steps you should take right away. No matter your injuries or the type of negligence, these will always be a good idea:
- Don’t talk to insurance companies or defendants. Whether it’s an auto accident, medical malpractice, a slip and fall, or some other type of injury, never talk to the insurance companies without first talking to your own attorney. You would be surprised at how the insurance companies often call within minutes of learning about an accident, looking for a quick way to settle the case for pennies on the dollar of what it’s work. Insurance adjusters won’t think twice about using anything you say against you. Get solid legal advice from an attorney who works for you.
- Get emergency medical attention. Make sure you go to the hospital or a doctor right away. Preferably, you should do this immediately after your incident or injury. Getting care right away will not only ensure that you are safe, it will also document and prove that your injury was indeed caused by the event.
- Don’t miss doctors’ appointments. As hard as it may be, do whatever you can to make your appointments. Missing appointments makes it look like you don’t take your injury seriously or it doesn’t really bother you that much. Don’t give the insurance companies an excuse to deny your claim.
- Hire an experienced lawyer early. The longer you wait to contact an attorney, the harder it becomes to recover evidence and show what really happened. Even the best personal injury lawyer will struggle to prove your case if witnesses forget what happened, documents go missing, or you say something incriminating in a recorded statement. The sooner a lawyer is working with you, the better.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Surprise Personal Injury Lawyer?
At Mushkatel, Robbins & Becker, PLLC, clients hire us based on a contingent fee, which means our payment is contingent upon our success in the case. If we lose or fail to collect money on your behalf, our services are free, and we collect nothing for our work. We do this for a number of reasons:
- Cost of pursuing justice. We understand that it often costs thousands of dollars to pursue justice in a personal injury case. Just the cost of filing a lawsuit or hiring process servers, court reporters, expert witnesses, and other routine costs can be prohibitive to the average person. For this reason, we front all of these expenses and only get reimbursed if we succeed in collecting compensation for our clients.
- Access to justice. We know how expensive justice can be, and so do the big corporations and the insurance companies. By charging a contingent fee, we allow our clients a fighting chance at justice by putting them on even footing with wealthy major corporations.
- Shared goals. Since our fee is based on our ability to recover compensation for you, you can be guaranteed that your attorney has the same exact goal you do – maximize compensation and win. Your success is our success.
Our Surprise Personal Injury Lawyers Help People With Catastrophic Injuries
Some injuries just set you back for a bit, while others change your life forever. We routinely help clients with some of the most serious and life-altering injuries you can imagine. Here are just some examples of the injuries we’ve seen in our decades of collective legal experience:
- Disc injuries. Disc injuries can range from painful to debilitating. Often an MRI is required to identify the severity of the injury.
- Spinal cord injuries. These injuries may lead to partial or permanent paralysis that requires ongoing care for the rest of a person’s life.
- Broken bones. While broken bones heal, they can also cause nerve damage, internal bleeding, and may heal improperly, leaving deformities and scar tissue.
- Traumatic amputations. Nothing can replace a lost limb or other body part. Amputations can leave a person with phantom pain and challenges for life.
- Head injuries. Head injuries can be fatal, and even minor injuries can take months or years to fully resolve.
- Brain injuries. Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) happen when there is a physical injury to the brain. This can be slight or severe, but in all cases the effects can be devastating.
- Concussions. Concussions may seem minor, but they can lead to long-term complications and even accelerate a person’s mental decline in old age.
- Disfigurement. Whether from burns, amputations, or major scars, disfigurement can be a lifelong and humiliating impairment for those who must live with their body forever altered.
In some cases, catastrophic injuries prove fatal. Under these circumstances, we may be able to help family members pursue a wrongful death claim against the negligent party.
Car Accident Attorneys in Surprise, Arizona
The Arizona Department of Transportation recently reported that more than 6,800 motor vehicle crashes occurred in Maricopa County, including 1,375 crashes in Surprise. As we know all too well at Mushkatel, Robbins & Becker, PLLC, many of these crashes were completely preventable. They resulted from drivers’ negligent decisions and actions.
If you have been in a car accident in Surprise, you may already believe that the other driver was at fault. As many seriously injured drivers, passengers and victims quickly learn, insurance companies often work hard to avoid paying settlements even when liability appears to be indisputable.
Our law firm helps residents of Surprise and the West Valley engage insurers who try to deny full and fair compensation to them. Our injury practice includes:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
Because of our considerable experience with motor vehicle accidents, and our close work with accident victims and their families, we understand the unique medical care and treatment that victims need. We also know the heavy toll of medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering.
We conduct thorough accident investigations and develop a full accounting of our clients’ costs and losses. We work hard to develop fact-based cases that clearly establish our clients’ right to financial recovery. We then vigorously negotiate with insurers to do what is right. If necessary, we are prepared to go to trial.
If you were injured or lost a loved one in a traffic crash of any kind in Surprise, contact us today to discuss your case in a free consultation. As you prepare to meet with a personal injury attorney, you benefit from ordering a copy of the collision or traffic report from the law enforcement agency that responded to your crash, which may include:
Surprise Police Department
14250 West Statler Plaza, Suite 103
Surprise, AZ 85374
Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office
550 West Jackson Street
Phoenix, AZ 85003
Real Estate Lawyers Serving Surprise, Arizona
The financial advice website, WalletHub, ranked Surprise at No. 5 in its most recent list of the country’s “fastest growing local economies.” The many factors that led to the city’s high ranking, including increased employment opportunities and rising household incomes, have also made Surprise a hot residential and commercial property market.
Whether you are a current resident or business owner in Surprise or someone who is planning to move to the area, Mushkatel, Robbins & Becker, PLLC can assist with your legal needs. We help clients with a wide array of real estate matters, including those that involve:
- Buying, selling or “short-selling” property
- Resolving boundary, easement and zoning disputes
- Negotiating real estate contracts
- Working with lenders to refinance mortgages
- Handling property exchanges
- Leasing property
- Developing commercial property
- Resolving foreclosure liens
- Handling landlord-tenant disputes
- Litigating homeowners’ association disputes
Our law firm’s real estate clients benefit from our attorneys’ experience in many different areas of the law, including estate law, family law, personal injury law and criminal defense. We can help clients to identify and overcome complex issues that often arise in real estate matters, including potential estate planning concerns or litigation risks. To learn more about how we may assist with your real estate transaction or real estate dispute, connect with us today.
Estate Planning and Estate Litigation Attorneys Serving Surprise, AZ
Many people know Surprise as being one of the best places in the country to retire. Communities such as Sun City West and Sun City Grand have helped to establish this reputation.
Many clients that Mushkatel, Robbins & Becker, PLLC serves are retirees or those who are looking forward to retiring and leading a comfortable life in Surprise. We are proud that many of our clients will have fewer worries in their retirement years because they have taken care of estate planning needs with our law firm’s assistance.
We help clients to address estate planning issues such as:
- Medical care instructions in case they become incapacitated
- Distribution of their assets to family members, friends, charities and others
- Business succession and transfer when they retire, become disabled or pass away
Many clients tell us that their estate planning sessions with Mushkatel, Robbins & Becker, PLLC provided the first comprehensive overview of their finances and assets ever experienced. Others come to us for periodic reviews and updates of existing estate plans.
Regardless of the size of your estate, we can help you organize and ensure that your assets are distributed according to your wishes. By doing so, you may reduce future court costs, taxes and legal fees that would otherwise diminish the estate that you leave behind to your beneficiaries.
Our attorneys can also assist with a variety of estate litigation matters for clients in Surprise, including contested wills and other disputes that arise during probate, trust and estate administration.
Contact our firm today to learn more about the experienced, committed and effective advocacy we can provide to protect your finances and your family.
Divorce and Family Law Attorneys in Surprise, Arizona
At Mushkatel, Robbins & Becker, PLLC, our family law attorneys recognize the emotional challenge that accompanies ending a marriage. We try to assist you in navigating the divorce process by providing pertinent and individualized attention to you. Our goal is to arm you with the necessary information to make well-informed decisions about family, finances and your future.
We will work with you to handle all aspects of your divorce, including resolving issues with child custody, child support, community property division and spousal support. With our extensive experience in divorce mediation, we can work diligently towards reaching a separation or dissolution agreement with your spouse. If, necessary, we will be ready to protect your rights and interests through litigation.
Additionally, our law firm also drafts premarital (or prenuptial) and postnuptial agreements in an effort to avoid future adverse scenarios.
Connect with us today by phone or online to discuss your legal needs if you are considering a divorce in Surprise or seeking legal advice and representation for any other family law matter.
Criminal Defense Lawyers in Surprise, AZ
The lawyers of Mushkatel, Robbins & Becker, PLLC, are dedicated to protecting the rights of the accused in Surprise and other areas in the West Valley. We believe that people charged with crimes – whether a low-level misdemeanor or high-level felony – deserve vigorous representation. We fight for our clients and pursue the best possible results.
Our criminal defense attorneys utilize vast experience in the area to advance client interests.
Our firm assists clients in Surprise in criminal cases that involve:
- Driving under the influence (DUI)
- Drug offenses
- Domestic violence charges
- Assault and other violent crimes
The criminal justice system in Maricopa County can be highly complex and confusing. If you try to move ahead in your case without assistance from an experienced and highly dedicated criminal defense attorney, you can easily make mistakes that prove costly in the long run. Don’t wait to get in touch with us about your case.
Surprise, Arizona Court Information
Whether your case involves civil or criminal law, you should have a good understanding of the court system in Surprise.
The Superior Court of Arizona is a statewide trial court with general jurisdiction, which means it hears the widest variety of cases, including most civil and criminal cases that our law firm handles. Each county has at least one Superior Court facility.
Several Superior Court locations are located throughout Maricopa County, including one in Surprise:
Northwest Regional Court Center
14264 West Tierra Buena Lane
Surprise, AZ 85374
You should note that Maricopa County Probate Court presides over probate and intestate matters as well as cases that involve guardianship and conservatorship issues. The Maricopa Family Court has jurisdiction over divorce proceedings and other family law cases.
The Surprise City Court is a separate branch of city government and a part of the statewide court system. It handles cases ranging from minor traffic violations to Class 1 misdemeanors that carry a maximum penalty of six months in jail and/or a $2,500 fine (plus surcharges). The Surprise City Court is located at:
Surprise City Court
6081 North Civic Center Plaza, Suite 105
Surprise, AZ 85374
Justice Courts in Arizona hear traffic cases and certain misdemeanor criminal and civil cases, including domestic violence and harassment cases. They can also issue search warrants.
There are 27 Justice Courts in Maricopa County, including three located in Surprise at the Northwest Regional Court Center. Those courts serve the Hassayampa, Manistee and North Valley precincts.
A Law Firm Committed to Helping the People of Surprise, AZ
Mushkatel, Robbins & Becker, PLLC is proud to serve the fast-growing city of Surprise, including Sun City West and Sun City Grand, as well as other areas in northwest Maricopa County. As the Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce describes in its Resource Guide, Surprise is truly a “beautiful Sonoran Desert community” with a reputation for its “family-friendly environment, emerging employment centers and top-rated schools.”
Attractions such as Surprise Stadium (the spring training home of the Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals), the mammoth Surprise Tennis and Racquet Complex, and the beautiful White Tank Mountain Regional Park contribute to the high quality of life that Surprise residents enjoy. As The Arizona Republic reports, plans are also in the works to create a “pedestrian-friendly shopping and entertainment district” in the city’s downtown area.
The lawyers of Mushkatel, Robbins & Becker, PLLC are also highly active in our communities. Attorney Zachary Mushkatel, for example, serves on the Board of Directors for the Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce.
Unfortunately, preventable injuries can still happen in Surprise due to the careless or reckless conduct of individuals, companies, and government agencies. Our law firm is here to provide the professional and compassionate legal assistance that victims and their families need if such an accident affects their lives.
When you approach Mushkatel, Robbins & Becker, PLLC to discuss your case, you can expect to receive straightforward advice that is aimed toward resolving your legal issues. If we agree to move forward together, you can count on us to make your unique legal needs and goals our top priority. We take pride in that service-based approach to helping our clients in Surprise and throughout the West Valley.
Schedule a free consultation today to discuss how we can assist you.